View Single Post

KobaltBlau

The thing you have to understand is that I just rebuilt the engine (which included replacing a lot of hardware just so that it was new... example all the rockers and rocker shafts, elephant foot adjusters and more...) to the tune of about $6000

$6,500 - Engine Rebuild (including some misc crap)
$3,000 - PMO Carbs/Manifolds/Linkage
$ 900 - SSI Headers
$ 800 - Web Cams
$ 350 - Muffler
$ 200 - Misc Oil Lines to back date exhaust
$ 300 - Rebuild / Recurve Distributor
$12,050 (plus a lot of other little expenses that add up...)

I just couldn't see spending another $3,000 to be able to get a slight increase in displacement, and be able to run larger cams, which would maybe make another 25rwhp (maybe it would have made more... but not in the rpm range I want to operate the car in, on the street).

It's still a street car. And even though I do about 4 track days per month (in various cars.. which will include this one), I still want to have it fun to drive on the street, and not evolve the car into a track car with license plates (as I've done so many times in the past....).

What I really want is smooth power, a nice TQ curve, and the engine to pull to 6000 - 6500 rpms before it rolls over. If I get that, and make at least 200rwhp, then I'm in good shape.

Lastly... the CIS setup is horrible on the track simply because it has no throttle response. I don't understand how people could drive a car like this fast on a track with the lack of throttle reponse that the CIS provides... it's horrible on the track.

And... by the looks of the tortorous air intake path that the air must travel in, up, down, around, pushing a spring loaded plate open, in a funky plenumn, then through the runners... can't be helping the engine breath up top. I know that a good set of carbs has got to be worth at least 15rhwp over that of the CIS.

In short, what I've tried to do was to put together a nice mild engine package with all the components matched and working together. I might try to squeeze in larger cams in the future though depending on what the dyno chart looks like.

So.... I pick up the engine tonight. It will be installed tomorrow. Then it's time to go strap it to the rollers and see what she'll do... mu ha ha

TonyG

Last edited by TonyG; 11-04-2004 at 02:24 PM..
Old 11-04-2004, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)