View Single Post
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
Sorry to hear the bad news! It's not fun, especially when you're not expecting it or prepared for it.

As someone who just built a 3.5L twin-plug but realizes what is involved with even a stock rebuild (both in cost and time), it isn't going to be cheap if you aren't doing it yourself.

If I were in your position, I would seriously consider having the heads redone while they are off. Have the valves checked and replaced if necessary, replace all guides and maybe change the valve springs as well, after all you do have over 100K on it and this would be the time to do it. If you can find the means, installing a set of 964 or 20/21 cams would also be a wise choice at this time.

While the cylinders are off due to changing the head studs, take the opportunity to change the rod bolts to ARP units. Will solve the rod bolt issue and can be done without splitting the case.

Since larger 98's and 100's appear out of the question and depending on the stock 95's condition, you may wish to rering the pistons.

Cheap and well-done don't usually go together, the last thing you want to do is take short-cuts and have to do it all over again a few thousand miles later.

Maybe you should apply for a new credit card?

Vision Motorsports in Laguna Hills and Andial in Santa Ana are two shops that both come to mind in the O.C. area that do an excellent job, albeit not inexpensively.

If you are on a real tight budget, I have a few 911 engine builder friends (ex or current Andial/PMNA builders) that do side job work that would be cheaper then going to a shop but yield similar results with respect to quality. Obviously, this would also take longer as it would be an after hours job but if money is a serious issue...

Ralph

2008 Cayman S (coming soon)
Old 11-15-2004, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)