Thread: Deck Height
View Single Post
Still Doin Time

It's true looking at the 911 combustion chamber that there is very little squish area, but IMO that is why it is so important to maximize the limitations from the original design.

Most performance street engines are done @7000 RPM's. I don't care if you are talking about a small block Chevy or a Porsche. The hardest thing to build is a performance street engine. I swear it is easier to build either a full blown race or just a stock engine because both have one objective; Race very narrow power band. Stock....well you know. Stock.

The hemi-head design is as old as dirt, but it was at the time it was current technology. With that said, I believe that the importance of minimal squish coupled with the highest cranking cylinder pressure that the OE design will allow will yield a very efficient engine.

Personally, I have never seen any production-based engine go to 10 grand unless it was a small displacement class-rules engine built for drag or road racing.

If the rods are steel there is virtually no stretch. that being the case the only reason the piston hit the head (in your case)is because of component failure. To run .060" is giving away the farm!

Being that the Porsches block, cyl and head are made of aluminum, they 'grow' with engine temperature. Therefor the deck hieght would INCREASE slightly as the engine runs. If the rotating assy was properly set up there is no reason not to run at the minimum. It's free HP!!
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 11-20-2004, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)