Thread: Deck Height
View Single Post
Still Doin Time

I believe that in a street engine steel rods don't elongate. Pistons rock in the cylinder, Cylinders become egg-shaped, rod bolts stretch, crankshafts can flex through harmonic distortion. Connecting rods (I-beam) don't just fail, there is always a contributing factor.

As far as no squish, anywhere on the very outside of the piston crown even with a hemi-head there is close proximity to the edge of the combustion chamber. If you have the piston set below the deck the exposed cyl wall becomes part of the combustion chamber leading to 'dead areas' in the flame travel.

With deep hemi-head design the piston has to have some kind of dome to have a reasonable compression ratio. Problem is that further inhibits flame travel.

I'm a drag race guy. Of any type of racing, drag racing has the highest horsepower and the fastest speeds of any wheeled sport. Period. It takes a lot of efficient power to run the class rules. A lot of things you learn quickly in the engine build process is maximizing the combustion process. You run less ignition timing, the heat is concentrated more towards the center of the piston= more HP.

We agree to dis-agree
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 11-21-2004, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)