View Single Post

Pros and Cons of splitting as I see it:
Pros:
- Not much more money than just doing top end.
- If the motor was leaking at a case seam you can reseal things.
- It's a chance to catch anything bad happening to the bearings, etc
- You'll possibly sleep better.
- It's more satisfying. That's a big reason.

Cons:
- At least in my experience it is not just a few more hours to do the bottom end "while you're in there". Between measuring the crank, measuring the case or having a machinist measure it, sending out the crank for checking and polishing, cleaning the case, checking the squirters, I spend many many hours. (I'm embarrased to say just how long it takes me for fear of being labeled retardarded. If you're going to label me, I prefer the term "diminished capacity".)
- Did I mention the hours of case cleaning and sealant scraping?
- You're disturbing a part of the engine that was working fine before.
- Especially if it is your first motor, you may discover that making a leak free lower end looked a lot easier in the brochures.

It looks like I'm trying to scare you off from doing the lower end but I'm not. Doing the whole motor is immensely satisfying. Just be aware that if you work on you motor on weekends between the kid's soccer games, doing the bottom end "while you're in there" may push your schedule out quite bit further than might think.

-Chris
Old 11-27-2004, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)