View Single Post

Wow, thanks for all the replies, I clicked send just as I was leaving work last night and found all this when I came in this morning.

A few comments on what people have said. My inference on poor brakes for the Carrera is that they are the same size as previous models but the weight was up. Also people seem to throw big reds on at the drop of a hat, hence my apparently poor assumption that they are sub par.

SCís! I knew when I wrote my original note that the SC world domination council would seek to bring me over to the dark side. Iíve nothing against SCís, and they do seem to be available cheaper, but my reasons for discounting them were:
1. Even older than a G50 87 up Carrera for daily use
2. K Jetronic (sorry CIS) is a very old system and does not appear to me, to be as user friendly or have any simple upgrades, i.e. SW chip.
3. No G50
4. All the nice oneís that (would if I were in the market now) look tempting are on the West coast

Jared (JCR), I would love to see/ride in your car. If I wasnít intending my future purchase to be a daily driver, a 72/73 2.4 S would be what I was after. I love the look of the long hoods, narrow body no rear spoiler, not even a duck tail, just the S front spoiler. Perfection!

I still donít understand what makes the 964/993ís so hard to work on. Is it the price of parts? Is it accessibility? Complexity? Pixies living in the engine compartment?

Since several people from the Metro Detroit area chimed in, is there a local evening meet around here? As I said, every couple of months I go to the local 356 club on a Saturday morning with my neighbor who has a Pre A 356, but I like to see more 911ís.

One final thought, how do people see the availability/price of parts for Carreraís, or older cars in general, changing over the next 10 Ė 15 years? I realize that there is a huge following world wide for these cars, but nothing like a 60ís Mustang for example where they are so popular I think you could build a new one from scratch.

Thanks for all the info.

P.S. Soup Dragon, Iím an Ex pat Brit, the Soup Dragon was always my favorite character in the Clangers.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)