View Single Post

Adrian,
Just wanted to chime in about SC's. But first, I'll start with your observations:

SCís! I knew when I wrote my original note that the SC world domination council would seek to bring me over to the dark side. Iíve nothing against SCís, and they do seem to be available cheaper, but my reasons for discounting them were:
1. Even older than a G50 87 up Carrera for daily use
2. K Jetronic (sorry CIS) is a very old system and does not appear to me, to be as user friendly or have any simple upgrades, i.e. SW chip.
3. No G50
4. All the nice oneís that (would if I were in the market now) look tempting are on the West coast

1. Not sure that #1 is even an issue. Being older is not necessarily a bad thing. The 3.2's had smaller rod bolts and were prone to the same head stud failures that the SC's had...both issues that any builder would address at rebuild time. Additionally, in my dealing with DME cars, DME is more complicated when diagnosing a problem. Leads me to my second point.

2. CIS is user friendly, easy to diagnose, and rock solid reliable. Crude? Yes. However CIS systems are basically mechanical in nature and have very little that can go wrong. Chips are an arguable upgrade although I do agree they can provide some benefit...just not sure how much. CIS cars can also be cheaply upgraded to some very cool injection sytems...megasquirt is one, and the new work on this board on ITB's is another. Plenty of cheap options. Outside the chip for DME cars, you are looking at the same issues. Besides, 3.2's are heavier cars an can benefit from the improved performance...I'll get flamed for that last comment.

3. Truly the G50 is a dream to shift, but a nicely built 915 can shift very well, and seems easier for the DIY'er to maintain. Do a search on the site and you'll see plenty of guys tackling the 915 rebuild in their own garages.

4. I would not necessarily discount cars on the west coast. Buying local is ideal, but sometimes it just makes sense to either take a road trip or have the car trucked across country.

Not an SC fanatic, but for me it represented the perfect blend of creature comforts (my AC works surprisingly well..even in OKC heat), mechanical simplicity and rock solid reliability.

R/
Dustin
Old 12-01-2004, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)