View Single Post
Friends of Warren

I say go for the 993s. No matter how you slice it it's an objectively better car than any previous 911. Good AC, good heating, good brakes, good depreciation, great performance and as you said it it's the pinnacle of air cooled car.

But then you need to drive the cars.... You'll see how the older cars are so much more special.... they are not as fast, don't brake as quickly, have a crappy AC etc.... but they involve you so much.

I was in the same situation... U have to draw the line at some point.. and like you I decided that I wouldn't get anything older than an 87 G50.

After dirving all of the cars you mentioned it was a no brainer for me.
I budgeted $2k a year for reapairs/mantainance... I am well under it this year.. I will be over next...
The problem/fun with a Carrera is that is so easy to work on and to upgrade that you WILL end up modifying it and spending money on it.
You start with H4 headlights and you finish with hollow torsion bars.
Parts are cheap and help is avaliable on Rennlist and on this forum.

Again drive them all and follow your feelings.

The Carreras are NOT daily drivers by today's standard. As Nostatic said you need to be a little insane... but hey.. u live once....

PS
My Carrera is a daily driver... racing seats, no AC, poor heating... I LOVE IT!!!

Warren RIP

www.impactbumpers.co.uk
Old 12-02-2004, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)