Thread: Twin Plug DIY?
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by 125shifter

New parts:
Carrera intake
Autronic ECU for injection and ignition
Autronic CDI to fire 6 waste spark coils
Twin Plug (still haven't looked for wires for 12mm plugs)
Three angle valve job with new valves, guides, and springs (done by EBS)
JE 3.4l, 7.7:1 CR pistons
Pauter rods
ARP head studs
Patrick lightweight flywheel
Centerforce aluminum pressure plate
8:39 r&p
a ton of expensive odds and ends

Existing parts (installed by PO):
K27 with 1 bar wastegate spring
B&B exhaust
B&B dual outlet muffler ( I may build a stainless open pipe exiting on the right)
B&B intercooler (I may get a custom large intercooler to fit the Carrera intake)
Ahhh... very very sound concept! I like Carrera/Pauter/JE part the best. Very non-porsche-snobbish and very very good stuff-

Few hints (please don't take it as criticism):

1. I would ditch 1 bar wastegate spring. Autronic has built-in electronic boost controller and all you need is solenoid to contol boost line going to wastegate. It can only raise the boost from level provided by spring, so you would need 0.7 bar spring in order to allow Autronic to regulate boost from 0.7 and upwards.

2. How do those BB-headers look like? You seem to be handy and expirienced in DIY, so you could even try fabricating your own headers? As you probably know, turbocharged cars don't care for equal length headers. They just want it hot and short (at least before the turbo).

3. Spinning more on your DIY-handiness: there is lot to be saved on using some other (cheaper) sort of EFI. SDS will do both fuel, ignition and boost controlling for half the cost. Tuners don't speak it as fluently as Autronic, but you could learn a new language yourself

4. Ever tought about trying Garrett GT-series turbochargers?

That engine will rip any way you do it!

Cheers!
Old 12-03-2004, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)