View Single Post

Talking 911 Head Before and After Photos

Sent my heads off the Henry at Supertec to get the heads in usable shape. I knew it was leaking around one of the intake valves and 5 of the exhaust valves. Oh yeah, and they were pretty nasty looking...

Here are the before pictures:

Please note that my instructions to Henry were not to help me build a show motor or a race motor. My instructions were based on my latest project, a 1972 911T targa. It needs a motor and I have a supposedly good 2.7 that I am doing a re-ring topend on to replace the 2.4 that only runs (but still runs) on 4.5 cylinders. I am on an extremely limited budget and my goal is to build the motor to last 30k-50k (probably 6-10 years as my second 911) miles so I can drive it instead of just letting it sit in my garage like it has the last 7 years. Budget, budget, budget. My instructions were something like "Do the minimum so I can drive it a while." No porting, no polishing, no twin plug, no new parts unless the old ones are out of spec and unlikely to last for the target mileage...

My next rebuild will hopefully happen BEFORE I need a new motor and I plan to take my time and do everything perfect. This time it's about getting something instead of nothing.

Anyway, Henry fixed me up. It was a good news/bad news thing. Good:
- Heads had had a recent valve work guides installed and so new ones weren't needed.

Bad:
- All exhaust valves were bent and needed replacing. Although the valve guides were OK the previous valve job was crap.
- The heads were actually 2.4 and needed a chamfer machined in to clear the larger diameter pistons.
- Needed some exhaust studs replaced and inserts

Thanks to Henry for helping me get my parts in usable form. They came back looking better than I expected based on my instructions to him. He was a pleasure to deal with and I really like the product. It's always nice to get a little more than you expect rather than less. I can't wait to get my car in good running shape.

Here's a few quick after pictures of one of the heads. I think they look better in person than the pictures.

Happy motoring,
Rob

Oh, here's one of the car it's going to go ing while I'm here.

1972 911T Targa now with a good 2.7
1990 Miata (cheap 'n easy)
1993 C1500 Silverado (parts getter)
Old 12-06-2004, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)