View Single Post
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by catca
Ralph come on up anytime!! I am moving at the end of feb. but only about a couple of miles south of where I am now. The wine rack will be fully stocked at the new place.

I just bought a 964 dist. so I guess I am going twin plug!!! Where did you source your plug wires, and did you have to assemble them yourself? I looked throught your thread, and if it says, I missed it.

I really do want over 10.1 compression so I am thinking about using JE's. That I guess will limit me to 98mm and a 3.4. I don't really want to shell out for "nickies" in 100mm. Just have to locate a splitter and then I am ready to go!! My head guy will machine the heads and since they were rebuilt only about 10k miles ago they should be okay. Will put in some of Camgrinders springs though. (Trying to support the people who post here as much as possible) I already have 964 cams but am interested in trying John's Supercup cams......

I have access to a CNC machine shop and was thinking about making adapters for a 3.6 intake manifold. What do you think about that, or would the extrude hone be a better option. I don't want to leave too much power on the table untouched! I sell Steve Wong chips so getting a new one should not be a problem!!

6500rpm would probably be a tall enough powerband for me, but I will build it to be safe to 7300 or so with ARP or raceware rod bolts.

Can't wait to see the dyno runs!!

Cheers, Jeff
Jeff,

Congrats on your purchase. Be sure to do the vent update if yours doesn't already have it. Also, you may wish to change the drive belt if you are unsure about mileage on it, they are pretty darn cheap!

Talk to Pete at Andial about the splitter, you should be able to buy at the wholesale price and save a little bit of money at least.

I used custom length 8.5mm Magnecor wires. I had to approximate the lengths after the longblock was done and outer sheet metal was fitted. They made them up to my specs and I had them in a couple of days. Steve Brown over there is a good guy to deal with. Magnecor's aren't cheap, but the quality is very good.

If you do it yourself, you will need approximately 25' of plug wire to do the top and bottom and obviously the extra boots, connectors, etc. as well. My buddy Steve made up his own wire set, but he wanted to stick with black wires and I wanted something a tad "racier" (or is it "ricier"???). Anyway, I'm not sure how a 964 lower wire set would work on a 3.2 based motor, the wires may be too short or too long depending on how you decide to route them. Andial always builds their own 7mm wire sets as well.

Don't know if making adapters to use a 964 plenum is worth it or not. Maybe if you didn't already have a 3.2L plenum but you do...
Andial was getting 5-7 horsepower on their ENGINE dyno with the extrude honed 3.2L plenums, not a huge increase but every little bit helps. In my case, I didn't want to part with any extra money in this area. I had the 3.2L plenum so that is what I was going to use. I don't think you are going to gain huge power in the plenums no matter what plenum you decide to run.

Steve W. has already done many 3.4L Motronics (I think I'm his first 3.5L) and you know how easy he is to work with so you will be fine in that area. We are going to hook up sometime this weekend to get my motor perfect in preparation for the dyno late next week.

You guys and your 93 octane are killing me!!!

Ralph

2008 Cayman S (coming soon)
Old 12-07-2004, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)