View Single Post

2.2S Change to from Biral to Nikasil Issues

I am rebuilding a 1970 2.2 S engine. As the Biral cylinders are no longer available I have a set of Nikasil to replace the originals. This raises questions about case squirters and Timeserts. I have a magnesium case without case squirters or Timeserts.

What I would like to determine is there any absolute reason to install squirters and timeserts? When Nikasil cylinders are discussed a 2.2L engine is not the engine being rebuilt.

2.2L Engines have less cooling issues, as the cooling fins on the cylinders are larger due to the smaller piston bores. The engine that I am rebuilding is an S engine so the cylinders already had Aluminum outer cylinders so the stresses on the head studs should be similar to the Nikasil cylinders. Could there is an issue with the expansion rates of the alloys that I am unaware of?

In summary these two common upgrades are done to manage thermal stresses within the engine. Thermal issues are not a common problem with the 2.2 engines so are the upgrades necessary?

My engine will not see much track time.

Any experiences or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)