View Single Post
Super Moderator

Garage
Hmmm...

250 is probably a tad on the optimistic side with that motor. I essentialy have the same one and am running about 240 I think. Never had it dyno'd though. So if you do, PLEASE post.

1. I also had Alusils and while I couldn't find my notes, I believe I budgeted about $2650 for Nikasil plating and J&E's vs. $3000 for Mahle's all the way.

2. Depends on where you want your power. Unless you also have a very optimized transmission, I'd go for the one that offers more torque and power from 4000-6500. Some of the more agressive cams don't come on to 5500 and with an SC based motor you'll find that you run out of rev's before you run out of power.

3. 46mm will work well for the motor, but you'll have less bottom end. I used 46's but think that 40's probably would have worked just as well. If you're gonna turn the motor above 7k RPM, use 46's. (this will also require uprated valve springs, retainers, and some head flow work.)

4. 1 3/4" will be better I think. 1 5/8" would work better with a more stock motor. I use 1 7/8" but only because they were free.

5. Can't help you on this one.

Finally on the distributor bit, BURN-BROS on this board is close to finalizing a twin-plug diz using a Jaguar cap. I'd look into that. MSD was also considering it. Otherwise you're stuck with the 964 modified dizzy (Rennsport) or Electromotive (which isn't very vintage looking)
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Old 01-02-2005, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)