View Single Post

Michael,

Your issue with an engine that can stay together for a long time has to do with RPM. An engine you shift at 7300 (or even 7500) will last a long time if built properly. If you turn it 8000 – 8500 all the time then I like a 25 hour rebuild schedule. The maintenance overhauls are SO much less expensive than some disastrous malfunction.

Mark, I don’t consider boat tailing the case, knife edging the crank, mooning the cylinder spigots, and more to not be worthwhile for a high rev engine – 7000 RPM. This significantly reduces pumping losses inside the crankcase.

Michael’s reasons for using Nikasil cylinders are just fine but it also includes better ring sealing and performance. Nickes = horsepower.

Anything you can legally do to raise the compression ratio makes more power. You just need suitable high octane fuel and keep the cylinders and heads cool.

One of the things I noticed in the rules is you ability to use a higher ratio fan drive. That has a net HP gain and helps the engine longevity by keeping the cylinders and heads cool.

Do the rules allow the “Rubbermaid Solution”? Search on this Forum.

If you can legally use twin plugs – go for it!

With camgrinder’s hotter cams, perhaps you can use even higher CR – say 11.5:1?

I’ll go re-read the rules posted. There is usually much to be gained.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 01-23-2005, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)