View Single Post

Thanks Paul and Henry (edited version) for your replies. I'm not proposing either position, just trying to get enough info to make an informed decision whether to jump into this 930 or not. Its tough to think that I'm going to spend a chunk of money just to have the thing sit for a couple of years as I slowly rebuild it. The V8 idea was suggested to me as a reasonably cheap solution to having the car sit whilst I rebuild the 3.0. I've looked at a lot of pics and it appears, though I can't be certain, that some mods are made to the engine compartment for the conversion. If mods can't be undone, then I wouldn't even consider it, for I am a purist (well, I do upgrade just about everything I get my hands on). I haven't rebuilt a 350 since highschool (and yes, Henry, it was a camaro), but I remember it being easier than falling out of bed. The 3.0 would be my first attempt at rebuilding one of Ferdinand's children (my convertible bug (type 1) runs perfectly and it is still stock, so, fortunately, haven't had the opprotunity to rebuild that.) With my BMW motorcycles I've had over the years, all I've ever done has been basically plug-n-play. So, you see, I haven't tackled a German motor yet. Jumping into the 930 motor is a daunting task for a German-motor-virgin. Then there's the cost of these motors...geeszch. With better than $100K in student loans still outstanding, its not like I have $6k-$10k just lying around. That will take some time to squirrel away, especially considering the three open mouths at home. Maybe I should just put one of Bernie Bergman's Type4 (914) motors w/911 cooling in my bug, add some fake fuchs and cross-drilled brakes and call it good.
DeMinimis
Old 01-25-2005, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)