View Single Post

I was away for a few days. Thanks for the great response.
I have to read each carefully to fully understand your ideas.
It seems like it would be relativly simple if I had a K lambda system, but I don't.

To clarify, my 83 ROW CIS is very simular in function to the late 70's USA cars. This is before lambda control. Although I have an O2 sensor it is only connected to the analog gauge. There is no controler, frequency valve, WOT switch, or the Lambda fuel distributer. (I do have a K- lambda fuel distributer on the shelf because the PO's wrench put the wrong one in my car. I now have the correct 81-83 ROW fuel distributer in it's rightful spot).

So:
Quote:
While I think there is a device out there that already does such a thing, you could make an electronic device that converts the 5v signal from the LM into a controllable PWM signal for the lambda regulator.
Can you point me to the device you are referring to? Whats PWM ?

Quote:
Why not use used frequency-valve and bits from KE-Jetronic and feed them simulated narrow-band lambda output from LM-1?
This is sorta what I hope to do, what bit's from the KE-Jetronic.

Could it be as simple as replacing the control pressure regulator with a frequency valve.

On my car the control pressure regulator has 3 functions. (I think)
1. Ramp control pressure up during warm up period.
2. Reduce control pressure when vacuum drops.
3. Atmospheric pressure compensation. (not exactly sure)

If I could replace/replicate these functions with a LM-1, Wide band O2, and a frequency valve. I think I would have a simple aftermarket closed loop system that would work to whatever limits the CIS system has.

That statement may be over-simplified.
I think the existing cold start system (valve and thermo switch) would remain. I think the Auxiliary Air Regulator, Auxilliary Air Valve and vacuum limiter would be optional depending on what the car is being used for. I would need to input a temp signal and maybe a vacuum signal or switch.

A control pressure sender and gauge would be nice, the sender could feed both the gauge and LM-1.

Will the LM-1 produce a pulsed (frequency) output that could be used by the frequency valve? Which way does the frequency valve fail? Open/closed with no signal? (maybe it should go in series or parrallell with the control pressure regulator for fail safe?

I wonder why Bosch didn't do it this way? In the K-lambda system, the control pressure regulator effects the pressure on the top half of the fuel distributer allowing the plate and piston to rise easier. The frequency valve effects the pressure on the lower half or the fuel distributer. They kept the warm up function seperate from the lambda control.

Enough thoughts from me for now.
Thanks for all the input.
Any and all thoughts are welcome.
Should this be posted somewhere else?

Would the LM-1 guy's be intrested in helping. It might be something that would help them and Wayne sell more of this product!
83 ROW CAB Rubinrot Metallic (RIP)
Old 01-26-2005, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)