View Single Post

Red face Just saw my rebuild flash before my eyes!!!

So,

I was finishing up the rebuild of my C3 and was putting on the valve covers for the last time. As I had the engine rotated around on the passenger side. That is where I saw the flash.

As a practice, I have used the blue shop paper towels everywhere to plug up open holes during the rebuild. I have been pretty good to count them before I seal the patient up. The inlet oil line below the oil cooler was no acception to the blue rag plug.

When I was putting the valve cover on, I noticed that the blue rag had been pushed half the way down the return tube in the cooler. Or more likely (I assume), it had been sucked into the return tube as I cranked the engine around rechecking valve timing. If I had not had the engine tilted just right, the light would not have caught the towel but I am sure that the gears of the pump would have.

I was able to fish the towel out in one piece. Now the trick is fishing my self dobut on what else I have missed. But, hell, there is no way to go but forward from here.

74' 911S Targa + 930/02
76' 914 - Eternal Type IV project FOR SALE
Old 01-31-2005, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)