View Single Post
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by nolift911
Sounds like you guys are all on the fence about what to do...

Pretty definitive vote for the 3.6 it seems.

My only concern is giving up a bullet proof 3.2 with low miles and lots of life and pick up a 3.6 with unknown history and many more miles...

I guess a 3.5 built on the bleeding edge of perfomance to get near 300hp would in theory be less reliable than a 3.6 not fully maxed.

I would get the 3.6 and do the work myself. The cup cams for sure. What else for more horsepower while I have it out and not spend silly money on it?

-Jeff
A properly built 3.4L or 3.5L can last well over 100K but I would agree with you that a 3.6L gone through would be a much better platform. What makes the 3.4L and 3.5L options so expensive is the high cost of the Mahle piston/cylinder sets which are in the $3K-$4K range all by themselves!!! Another thing to consider is that eventually Mahle will discontinue (it is already starting!) the 98mm and 100mm sets and everyone will be SOL and be forced to use other manufacturers.

Sounds like you have a good plan to me, especially if you go through the 3.6L and do some reliability upgrades before installing. You should be able to get top dollar for your low mileage 3.2L, so that significantly helps defray the cost.

Bear in mind that while a larger displacement version of your 3.2L is a direct swap (actually your 3.2L rebuilt), a 3.6L is not. You will have to consider exhaust, software and more oil cooling in addition to the motor itself. This has been done countless times now, so there is plenty of advice and info out there for you to do the swap right.

Do your research and set up a ballpark of ALL costs associated so you know exactly where you are going in. It can become a slippery slope and many people (myself included) fall into the "for $100 more" syndrome.

Ralph

2008 Cayman S (coming soon)
Old 02-25-2005, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)