View Single Post
Somewhere in the Midwest

3.2 head sealing * flame rings * niresist

Options are:

*Niresist (ring grooves machined into heads and cylinders and a stainless steel ring is used)...differential expansion rates is unfavorable. I also assume that the "flame ring" is the same method..just a different name.

Garibaldi has a similar seal ring, but he uses an alloy. He hasn't returned my e-mail yet, but I'd be interested to here more.

*C2 head gasket...someone tell me what's done to 3.2 heads to get there! And who has had good results.

*nothing!...just use good head studs and we are good? Christian Garibaldi mentions a few times, that unless you expect the heads to lift...no extra sealing is needed. Did I misunderstand, Christian?

I'm going to use ARP studs...for a turbo engine. I might run it up to 1.2 bars of boost. Since I don't really trust the "flame ring" method, what troubles are down the road for me if I run no seal at all?

A machinist tells me that the 3.3 had an upgrade using a gasket. I would dig further into this, but since the 3.3 cylinders are 97mm, my 98mm cylinders are going to see 0.5 mm of gasket over hang! And still, I would have issues if the heads lift! So I don't see that as a fix.

What to do?
Old 03-04-2005, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)