View Single Post

Garage
Valve Adjustment Questions

I'm going to adjust my valves this weekend, it'll be my first time (1989 911 3.2). I'm following the process in the Bentley manual as I can't find my 101 Projects.

Questions -

1. Do I need any special tools other than the special valve feeler? I'm particularly wondering if I should go buy a special stubby screwdriver or wrench to work on the less accessible cylinders.

2. I had to run the motor for 3 minutes this morning, to turn the car around in the garage. I know the valves have to be adjusted cold. How many hours should I wait for the engine to be "cold enough"?

3. I'm also doing some other service stuff while I'm at it. Here is the current list of tasks for the weekend - please suggest any other routine maintenance tasks I should do while I am in there. Current plan: adjust valves, replace valve cover gaskets, replace and gap plugs, replace rotor, replace plug wires (Clewetts), change oil (Mobil 1 20W-50) and oil filter (Mahle), change air filter. Am I missing something?

The car has been driving somewhat poorly in the last few months - slight stumbling at low revs/open throttle, and seems down on power. I want to get it back on form, and to start getting ready for AX season. I also have to pass a smog check this month. It has been about 20K miles since the last valve adjustment and about 10K since the last oil/filter change.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)