View Single Post
JOT MON ABBR OTH

Unhappy Cause of Oil Leaks

OK, I've found the cause of the leaks and forgot to bring my photo disks with me...

Something was leaking around the rear passenger side wheel where the thermostats are. The fittings were tight.

It appears the new breather hose was leaking at the top.

Good old leak right behind the pully. Must have gotton that wrong.

I believe the lower valve covers on 4,5,6 had started to leak through the studs.

And......several barrel nuts had loosened up on the head studs and the cylinders were leaking.

This must have happened rather quickly along with the chain tensioner issue I have going on a similar thread now. The night before I was on the bottom part of the normal section of the dip stick thinking about putting 1/2 quart of oil back in. The wrecker driver (an old VW guy) said he saw where I started leaving an oil streak. I lost 2/3 of the oil as judged by the amount of oil remaining in the vehicle.

Sequance of events as I think I remember them, I heard a knocking sound, looked down and saw a loss of oil pressure, turned her off and coasted to the rear.

Oh well, one more chance to get it right.

Any thoughts on what I should be most concerned with? Going back together as a street vehicle.
I don't take scalps. I'm civilized like white man now, I shoot man in back.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)