View Single Post

Replaced My Chain Tensioners

Well I finally found the time to replace the chain tensioners on my 1977 930. I removed the headers, and then the turbo & muffler as one unit. I couldn't see anything wrong with the old tensioners but I had new ones so I replaced them any way. When I finished and fired the engine up the chain rattle noise was still there. I didn't know what was going on, until I pushed the clutch in and the noise disappeared. It was the bloody clutch throw out bearing. This is a brand new bearing. I replaced the old one when I installed my modified pressure plate. The 930 throw out bearing just sits inside the clutch spring and is supported by the release fork. The bloody thing is rattling really loudly and it's driving me crazy. I adjusted the clutch a couple of times but nothing helps. Anyone else have a problem with 930 clutch throw out bearings? On a more positive note, I have my EFI just about tuned and the results are fantastic. I've done all of it on the road and when I get a chance, after I've finished the break in, I'll get it on a dyno and do the timing. The K27 HF starts boosting at around 2300. I've only reved it to 3500, but can't wait till it's fully broken in. I can get into 4 gear a lot earlier with my new setup.

Cheers
2000 Subaru WRX
Old 03-24-2005, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)