Thread: DIY Flow Bench
View Single Post
Banned from Pelican

A trick to even out the flow into the head port without the intake attached. Use modeling clay, the same kind you used in kindergarden. Roll it into a 1-1/2" to 2" diameter cord. Wrap the cord around the intake port and then blend in the clay to the port. This provides a smooth radius and a more accurate picture of the port flow than without it. The diffenence can be as much as 10 to 20% depending on the port. Same for any opening that has sharp edges. The flow will also more closely match the flow with an intake attached.

For absolute numbers see previous data I have posted. Most accurate is with valve full open for cal purposes. These numbers from differen't shops will typically agree withing 1 or 2 cfm! I used a calibrated Superflow 600 bench for my numbers.

I just noticed the clothespins, cool. I usually use a tru value spring that is very light for a valve spring and a dial indicator with a screw to set the valve opening.

Last edited by snowman; 03-27-2005 at 09:50 PM..
Old 03-27-2005, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)