View Single Post

Exhaust Valve Opinions ?

There is a little debate going on where I work about my project so I decided to get the opinion of my fellow pelican members on the subject at hand.

My 930 valves have about 130K miles on them but are still in spec and have reground perfectly. Between worn exhaust valve guides, a couple of eroded seats and the fact that the EGTs were at one time hot enough to have melted off a few of the air injector tips I am planning to buy a new set of exhaust valves.

I have seen what kind of carnage can occur when the head comes off of a valve and don't want to see that occur to my rebuilt motor.

I also still remember the part of my materials engineering classes concerning cyclic stress fatigue and realize that my valves are probably most of the way through their safety factor.

The other guys at the shop understand where I am coming from, but for $350 a couple have said thats a lot of money for peace of mind.

Do any other DIY rebuilders or machinists care to share their opinion or policy concerning the replacement of exhaust valves, even ones that clean up perfectly and are well within spec?

Thanks . . .
Old 04-01-2005, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)