View Single Post

Garage
Spark Plug diagnosis

Last year, I had a mis-shift that resulted in a slight overrev. I'm not sure that I even let the clutch pedal out all the way. Although the car pulls very strong through the rev range and does not run rough in the lower range, I am still worried about one particular exhaust valve. After performing a valve adjustment, the #3 exhaust valve may have been a bit loose. I know that if a valve is bent, there would appear to be some excess valve clearance. I am probably being paranoid, because the valve adjustment was done on the clock and not due to excess valve noise. #3 was the only valve that seemed out of spec.

If a valve was slightly bent, I assume there is no way that it could close completely. If that were the case, would the spark plug exhibit some sign. The plugs all look the same with slight black carbon deposit that is completely dry (no oily residue).

Should I have a leakdown performed if there is no other evidence. Am I just being paranoid? I don't have racing springs but I do have titanium retainers.
Lothar of the Hill People Gruppe B #33

The Founders would vomit at the sight of the government that the People's lack of vigilance has permitted to take hold.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)