View Single Post
Licensed User

ideal stroke for a turbo? shorter or longer?

More random engine thoughts....

I know that the shorter stroke engines rev higher, have better rod angularity characteristics, and are very durable. The shorter the stroke, the more bulletproof the motor. Does this idea only apply to NA motors, or do turbocharged engines see a benefit from a shorter stroke.

I donít see a lot of short stroke 2.5, 2.6, or 2.8 turbo motors. I probably donít see them because itís just flat out easier to start with a 3.0 or 3.3 turbo engine. Okay, fine. I'll accept that. That doesnít explain why I donít see a lot of short stroke 3.2 (98mmx70.4mm) turbos. Itís also not uncommon for people to use the early 3.0 turbos as cores for short stroke NA rebuilds.

Does a turbo see any benefit from the higher revs that a shorter stroke engine is capable of, or is it better for a turbo to have a longer stroke like on the 74mm 3.3's, and 76mm 3.6's.

The 3.3 and 3.6 turbos are obviously capable of insane power, but at much lower RPM than a short stroke NA motor. What would a short stroke turbo be like? Is it counter productive t shorten the stroke of a turbocharged engine?

Letís say itís a 66mmx98mm on an early 3.0 case with custom JE's and EFI for the sake of discussion.

TIA
Old 05-01-2005, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)