View Single Post
Kantry Member

Regarding the removal of the coupler bushings: I had read a post about 3 weeks before I did mine in which a fellow broke the yoke of the coupler. Hmm. Turns out its not that hard at all. When I got the coupler out of the car, I realized the pin is a press fit into the block. All I did was capture the block in the end of my vice, being careful to place no strain on the cast-alloy yoke, and (gently) drive out the pin with a punch. (sorry, no pics) No problems. The old, badly worn bushings practically fell out, the new ones popped in in a few seconds. To reassemble, I held the yoke, (with its new bushings) in allignment with the hole in the block, (block still clamped in the vice) and slid the pin back in. A tap or two with a small hammer centered it. On reinstallation of the coupler, it was easy to tell where the gears were on the transmission rod (901), so the thing went back together in one try. Start to finish, replacing the complete set purchased from our host was about 45 minutes. (I could have left the passenger seat in place, but felt I needed the room.)
Worst parts? Getting the shift rod bushing into the support flange and getting the rubber boot back on to the flange at the rear of the tunnel.
But OH! I can find the gears on the first try now.
Les
Old 05-05-2005, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)