View Single Post

Question Oil fed tensioner update = loud whirring

After installing oil fed tensioners on my 82SC, I have noticed a prominent whirring sound from the engine that was not present before the upgrade. The whirring increases with RPM as expected and is close in sound to a square cut gear harmonic. To characterize the volume of the whirring, with the stock muffler, you could not distinguish the exhaust note over the whirring.

Before the upgrade, I did have one collapsed tensioner (loose chain) and one tensionser that appeared in better shape. During the upgrade, I only changed the tensioners, not touching the ramps, chains, or cam gears. After the upgrade, I am assuming both chains to be tighter than before.

I have posted this question on the 911 tech forum and was advised to post again on this forum.

I am wondering if this whirring is something to be concerned about or is the result of proper chain tension. I have read posts of others citing this phenomenon.

I have yet to pull the covers and inspect. Partially due to the fact that I am at a loss how to proceed.

Assistance is appreciated.

Marlin
82 911 SC

82 911SC
Old 06-04-2005, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)