Thread: No oil pressure
View Single Post
Bandwidth AbUser

Well, I heard enough voices urging me to try running it, including from my engine machinist (Walt at Competition Engineering), so I did. After heeding the sage advice to fritter away what seemed like an eternity getting the fuel system primed, I connected the ignition system and cranked it over. After a couple of false starts and being slightly flooded, it roared to life! ~80 psi cold at ~2000 rpm, settling to around 40 psi by the end of my 20 minute initial break-in at 1800-2000 rpm. I just drained the oil and there's nothing unusual to report. So, I guess my worrying was unfounded. Thanks all for the support on this.

And, as a bit of advice to pass on to the other early car guys who have yet to go through this, and who do not have an oil pressure switch/idiot light like the owners of newer 911's...just look for an observable increase in pressure reading on your gauge, when running with the spark plugs out. With the plugs in, the engine spun slower and the pressure gauge barely moved. So, plugs out, spin it until you see what's probably around 5-10 psi (or 0.5 bar), prime your fuel system, plugs in, ignition reconnected and fire it up. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)