Thread: Charging woes
View Single Post

Charging woes

I know that there have been many a post on the electrical system and technical articles written that I've read as well, but here's my problem:

I just bought a 75 2.0 model, and it seemed to run a bit rough in 1st and 2nd gear and rough, but not as bad in 3,4 and 5th gears. That is unless I really stomped on the gas, then it would take off. However, the last week it really wasn't moving well even when I stepped on it, and often would lug before accelerating. I was hoping a fuel filter change along with new fuel lines would remedy that. Before I could get to that job though, the engine quit on me while on the freeway. It was running really rough before that, even backingfiring. When it quit, I was able to compression start it, but it quit again after a minute or so and wouldn't restart.
I also couldn't get the headlights to come up after it quit, although the hazard lights seemed to work ok.

I had it towed to my house, and there it sits. From past car experiences I'm thinking it could be the alternator- I've been able to jump the car, and it seems to run good for a short time while connected to the other car's battery, but as soon as it's disconnected it will begin to run rough again, and I can't keep it going for longer then 20 seconds or so.

It was suggested that I charge the battery overnight, and then see how it runs, as a fully charged battery should allow it to run good for a few minutes.

The problem is that I don't have any experience measuring voltage (maybe time to learn?) or the equipment to do so, unless the voltveter I use for computer repair will work.

Is the alternator a safe bet? If it was going out, would it cause the engine to run really rough? If I disconnet the battery, will the control brain settings get messed up? The engine has been converted to hydraulic lifters (something else I don't fully understand yet either) in case that makes a difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

...also, regarding the part of the pellican article about removing the alternator, where are the plastic covers on the engine tin that need to be removed? All I can see is metal parts attached to the engine tin, plus I can't seem to feel my way to the pinch bolt. Is there a picture of this somewhere that would help deomonstrate this section of the removal? (The Hanes manual hasn't helped me in this area)

Thank you all so much!

-Robert
Old 07-19-2005, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)