View Single Post
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Cooling air does escape the engine all around the underside, but it's supposed to do that.

I don't know what metal you're missing--there are two pieces underneath the cylinders and head on each side of the motor. There is one that is right up against the bottom of the cylinders and the head, and cannot be removed without first removing the pushrod tubes. That one is absolutely critical to engine cooling.

There is a second piece that bolts on to the heat exchangers and the crankcase sump. (Again, one on each side of the engine.) That is less important to cooling. Frankly, I'm not certain exactly what that one does, but the factory put very few "extra" parts on these engines, so my inclination would be to find another piece and install it. Check for the mounting bolt-holes.

The parts are similar, left to right, but not identical, or even symmetrical. That's because of the way the one side's cylinders are offset forward relative to the crankcase, and the other side's are offset rearward.

The bottom pieces of tin, those that bolt to the heat exchangers, are not the same for all years. 70-74 is the same on the right side, but the 73-74 has a different left side piece than the 70-72. (It changed to make room for the side-shift linkage.) The 75-76 cars have different pieces because they're bolting to different heat exchangers.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-02-2005, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)