View Single Post

I'm going to hijack this thread, if you don't mind, because I have a related question for my specific application. I have a 3.4 930 track engine that I'm assembling, and I want to set the deck height correctly. I did a "dry run" assembly that suggested I'd need a 1 mm shim under the cylinders. After installing the shim, I find that my deck height is actually 1.19 mm -- higher than the 1 mm goal. The question is, would I be best going with that, or should I bring it back closer to 1 mm? To bring it back to 1 mm requires stacking two shims (0.5 +0.25 mm) to give approximately a 0.94 mm deck height. Would that be better than leaving it where it is? Are there better ways to get it dialed in -- such as with custom shims? My machinist said leave the shims dry -- don't use a sealer. It seems that others here like to use various sealants mentioned above. Anyone have direct experience with leaks caused by *not* using sealant at the cylinder base rings?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)