View Single Post

You can torque them while spinning the cam to determine binding and adjust the torque accordingly. It's kind of a hack if you ask me but if the case spigots aren't even heights and you aren't decking the case to correct this, what are you going to do?
I would remove the cam housing, clean the sealant off the heads and put a machinist's straight edge or piece of "ground stock" across the tops of the heads and make sure that they were all the same height. If they aren't even, do the same for the other side. Maybe you mixed up the heads or cylinder heights and you can just swap them around? You need 3 pairs of cylinders+heads that are the same height on one side of the motor. They don't necessarily need to be the exact same height as the ones on the other side of the motor.
To get the gasket off, use Permatex gasket remover spray. Make some little aluminum foil condoms to put over the valve springs before you spray. Be careful not to get it on any paint (like your engine stand) as it will take the paint off. Don't ask me how I know.
-Chris
EDIT: Guess those guys beat me to it. It has to be a real straight edge not some sort of measuring rule with a "straight" edge.

Last edited by ChrisBennet; 08-08-2005 at 09:49 AM..
Old 08-08-2005, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)