View Single Post

Yes, good project.
SPS Unbrako offerings for non-standard flexloc nuts will be much to 'exhalted' in terms of required production minimum quantities and unit costs. There are other producers who will be much more approachable - so, do share any info you get from SPS and we'll work some others with that detail.

Also, the Flexloc configuration is specifically called a 'segmented beam' type locknut - this means that the top portion of the nut has very small slots (usually 6 to 8) that are then forced/crimped inward creating an area of reduced thread diameter that when installed provides a metal to metal prevailing torque locking mechanism. This configuration is preferred over other all metal type lock nuts because the locking force is spread 360 degrees around the mating male part - as opposed to other configurations typically called 'stover' or 'top lock' that may have 1 to 3 thread distortion-locking 'elements'.

Back to my original question: what are temperatures at the exhaust mating flanges? This info is really necessary to specify the fastener material, material condition and coating-if any.

As long as we're considering special production fastener items, I'm wanting to consider the option of very high temperature 'plastic' collar locknuts...not 'nylon' collars. I don't think Kel-F (PCTFE) - rated to 400 degrees F is anywhere high temp enough, but there are other potential materials. I can also have these type items run in reasonably small quantities at not to dear costs.
2000 BMW X5 - 1996 BMW 530i - Toy 4 Runner (x2 or 3) - 1987 Toy Supra - 1988 Honda Si - 1984 El Camino Super Sport - MGA - MGB - Fiat 124 Spyder - Fiat 128 Wagon - 1962 Karmann Ghia - 1951 VW - 1953 Willys Jeepster w/Chevy 286 - 1995 Volvo 960 - 2006 VW GTI
Old 08-10-2005, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)