View Single Post

Question about engine mounting bar

I just bought a '76 914 2.0 and hve a couple of questions. I'll do one per thread to avoid confusion.

The engine is joined to the chassis by a long steel bar, which I'll call "the bar". If this bar is viewed end-on (from the side of the car) it is very clearly angled to the rear, as if the car had run over a stump. BTW, the car was run over a stump. Is this angle normal, or should the ends of the bar be vertical ? One other hint that something is amiss is that I tried to pop the air filter cover and it seems to be blocked by the rear edge of the (ample) engine bay.

I examined the little hanger brackets that attach the ends of the bar to the chassis, and couldn't detect any ripping, bending, or other carnage. What worries me more is where the bar bolts onto the engine -- magnesium isn't all that flexible

Any hints or suggestions appreciated. I do plan to drop the engine some day, but for now I want to drive it a little...
Old 08-15-2005, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)