View Single Post

3.2 Top End Rebuild Advice

Im about to buy A 1989 3.2 engine for transplant into my 1972t. The engine I am going to buy is currently in its original car showing 140k miles with full porsche service history upto the last 10K. I have seen this engine run and also drove the car with it in. The engine runs well with no unexpected noises and pulls really good. However the owner has expressed concerns about the oil usage and thinks it smokes sometimes when he puts the throttle down. When I look at it when he blipped the throttle a small amount of smoke came out but I wasnt concerned too much about that. The engine oil pressure is about 5bar when the engine speed is up and warm.

After doing some research about the 3.2 engines I have decide it may be best to do the top end while the engine is out, valve guides and reseated etc. What I want to know is if it is worth changing the rings at the same time? In waynes book it says that this can cause excess stress on the pistons if the ring gaps are worn but I was unsure if this was reffering to earlier engines or is this still the same for the 3.2? I know this is a hard question to answer with out the engine stripped for examination but can you noramally get away with changing the rings on the 3.2's without new pistons as well?

Steve
Old 08-15-2005, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)