View Single Post

Followup :

I unbolted the bar from the chassis and from the engine. Removed the motor mounts and they had hardened into a wedge shape, so it was definitely something that happened some time ago. Installed new motor mounts to motor and to the bar, and the bar hung properly -- no bending of the motor mount brackets on the engine. At the outer ends, the bar mounts to a smallish (1" wide ?) bar that in turn bolts to the chassis. This smallish bar had been slightly bent, so that when I tightened up the bolts, the engine mount bar cocked to the rear again. So one of these days, I may pull those smallish bars and pound them flat. But for now, car seems to be running smoother with the new mounts, and I'm not dreading my engine breaking loose from the chassis any more.

NOTE : When I completed the project I backed out of my buddy's garage, which has a couple inches of drop. SCRRRINNNCH ! Guess what the very first part of the car to bottom out is ? That's right, the engine mount bar. In fact, the old bolts I pulled had been seriously scraped on the ends. So anything bigger than a modest speed bump seems likely to tweak the bar backwards. Anybody else find this to be the case ?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)