View Single Post
Never left, but not right

Before I get started......bent crank.

I think this is my first post here on this forum. I'm sure it won't be the last as I'm now venturing into the motor after doing a tremendous amount of body restoration and chassis work.

I bought a 2.4 T as a core so I could build up a motor to install while I work on the original S motor. I have acquired some 2.4 E P/C's as well as some 2.2 E P/C's. Will get to those later.

Meanwhile, in disassembling the T, I found the no. 5 rod bearing all on one side of the rod journal. Wasn't pretty. And, the crank is bent in the middle, right where that rod is. Not only that, but the oil pump is all but seized. I wondered why the darn thing was hard to turn with a socket on the pulley nut after the barrels were removed. Now I know.

So, what would be my next move? Toss this crank?

BTW, I did a search on "bent+crank" Nada. Please don't ask me how I checked the crank. It's bent, take my word.

EDIT: I did find some info using only the word "bent" and the word crank was in the text. Sometimes I wonder about the search. Anyway, someone says they have never seen a bent crank in 30 years unless it was dropped and someone else says a spun bearing can cause the crank to be warped, or "bent." They also said it's common to have cranks straightened.

OK, so I'll ask the question in different way, what is the more economical approach? The crank I have with the no. 5 journal has to be ground to under size or welded and ground to stock on the one journal. I haven't mic'd the others yet because I thought it might be toast. They all "look" good with no scoring. I've only got so much to spend on this temporary motor, but I want it to be nice enough to sell when I'm through with it and have a good feeling about that.

Last edited by Zeke; 08-28-2005 at 09:32 PM..
Old 08-28-2005, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)