View Single Post

Milt,

The 911 chains are just like the kart chains. Do two tests: First run the chain through three fingers feeling for a link that is stiff. Second, do a partial reassembly with the jackshaft in the case, chain housings, up through the cams. A stretched chain will have the idler arm lifted off the tensioner. New chains are relatively inexpensive.

First I would take the crank to the best crank people (plural) and listen to what they say. Next I would put a straight crank in the 2.4T case with good used mains and slowly torque the case while turning the crank. Stop if it tightens on the crank. That will give you an indication of the case condition.

Part out the 2.4T, even the bent crank has value to someone. If you do a MM on it, it may come back to haunt you. If it doesn’t work, many new parts are wasted.

I like the idea of buying a running engine, particularly if it is a MFI. That way you can do some diagnostics before any money changes hands. You have the savvy to spot something amiss.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 08-30-2005, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)