View Single Post
GAFB

Our man from Foat Wuth (love it, its funny 'cause it's true) nailed it. Besides excellent appearance, superior protection and excellent lubricity are offered.

Get a few sets of nuts and bolts together - some old rusty ones, some new zinc plated ones, and some cadmium plated ones. The old rusty ones will feel...well...old and rusty. The zinc ones will feel 'decent' and the cadmium plated ones will feel like they were dipped in machine oil.

Cadmium also completely eclipses zinc plating on corrosion resistance. I've got 30 year old hardware from the undercarriage of my car that still has a beautiful shiny cad finish, while I've got brand-new zinc dichromated parts that have lost all plating qualities after six months.

The drawback to the enthusiasts like us is that cadmium plating is extraordinarily expensive, over 4 times the cost of zinc plating at least here locally. This is due to the low volume of cad plating these days. The reason behind that is EPA regulation - cad plating involves some really nasty chemicals (like cadmium for example, ha) and in most areas now requires expensive closed-loop systems to protect the water supply.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)