View Single Post

Porsche Crest

One way to reduce worry about this is to skip this step. You had good machinists do the work, you have measured to check up on that work, and this is your own old engine, not some assemblage of parts from thither and yon. If somehow the machinist who resized your rod big ends (looks like you had that done) got them oval and your measuring of each one didn't pick up on that, aren't the chances good that Wayne's "see how well the rods overcome the assembly lube and rotate" test will find that out? If you have a clearance problem your project is on hold anyway until more machining is done (frightening thought, as it may mean rebalancing rods).

Here is the mistake I most commonly make in putting the engine back together: some kind of screwup with the oil return tubes. I have left them off one side. I've got plenty of collapsible ones so this is never fatal, but I like to start out with the regular tubes for all but the front left one (where access to the oil line fitting is hampered if you can't just pop the tube in and out). And if I remember to put the tubes in, I may not recognize that the resistance to getting the cam carrier to seat on the heads is due to not realigning one of the tubes.

Walt Fricke
Old 09-02-2005, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)