View Single Post

I asked the question about the marking compound after reading Noah' s links. It looks like he used the process detailed in the workshop manuals and then made sure it was correct with the marking compound. My question was if I would be able to achieve the same results by using marking compound only. It would take several iterations to get the correct number of shims on the bearing flange for the pinion adjustment. But now that I am writing this I think I would be omitting the centering adjustment of the ring gear which is the starting point for the process. Does this make sense?

Thus in an effort to get the car back on the road, I am now thinking about reassembling the transaxle with the original ring, pinion, and differential. These parts were working fine. The sliders and dog teeth were quite worn and I will be replacing those. I also have a limited slip differential with ring and pinion that has low miles that I was hoping to get installed. I am now considering doing this later.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)