View Single Post

ScotchBrite and Dremel Wire Wheels

So far my experience - on my aluminum case - is that both Scotchbrite and Dremel Wire Wheels (Stainless Steel) both do a very good job.
The scotchbrite does a real fine job on flat and reachable surfaces and the dremel wire wheels can reach the rest.
Dremel Buffs: # 511 actually work best of all - in the brown (aluminum oxide) grit - but they do wear quite quickly.

Whether it's Scotchbrite (green or red), Dremel buffs, or dremel or hand brushes (stainless steel), they all leave some residue.

To me the scotchbrite are probably the most worrisome - that green powder is everywhere - and it's still abrasive.

I've had the machine shop do a really thorough washing job - they ran it thru the washer 6 or 7 times, and thoroughly cleaned the squirters.

THEN, i've done the detail cleaning with the scotchbrite and the rest of the stuff, as well as using Snap-on 're-threaders' (not taps) to clean the tapped stud holes.

So - question: what's the absolute best and easiest way to reclean the entire case of all the detritus?
I'm thinking spraying with simple green and using the handy dandy Karcher power spray washer to blast it all clean, and follow with high pressure air throughout including a re-do on the oil squirter valves.

Any problems with that? Alternatives?

Thanks!
Jim
2000 BMW X5 - 1996 BMW 530i - Toy 4 Runner (x2 or 3) - 1987 Toy Supra - 1988 Honda Si - 1984 El Camino Super Sport - MGA - MGB - Fiat 124 Spyder - Fiat 128 Wagon - 1962 Karmann Ghia - 1951 VW - 1953 Willys Jeepster w/Chevy 286 - 1995 Volvo 960 - 2006 VW GTI
Old 09-19-2005, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)