View Single Post

Ghost (noise) in the machine.

I've had a wierd noise appear. For a while now, when I back out of a parking place (especially when the steering wheel's turned to the right) I get a wwooooooooo sounding hum from the front end while the wheel is turning, but it's never done this going forward......until now.

So I'm driving down the road, and this eerie, ghostly moan starts coming from the front end. It's very akin to the sound of a finger running around the rim of a wine glas....only a lot louder. It stops if I barely touch the brake. It seems more apparent if the force of the steering wheel is to the left (like when you are going straight but the crown of the road in the right lane makes you steer barely left to stay straight).

I know the brake pads in disk systems inconsequently drag on the rotor without pressure when the brake isn't applied, but could my pad/rotor be making enough contact to make this kind of noise? And why would something most assuredly brake or hub related have anything to do with the steering direction?

I'd like some ideas before I start taking things apart. Any help?

--Case...
Old 09-28-2005, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)