View Single Post
Registered

Well, it is temporarily back together and I'm driving it again. I've got the two DE's I mentioned earlier, the next two weekends in a row, then I will pull the doors and front fenders off and finish.

The paint is PPG acrylic lacquer. It's thinned 1.5 part thinner to 1 part paint; that's right, more thinner than paint. I used their "medium" speed thinner with no other components. There are far more modern materials available. The paint shop guys told me I would have the best chance of success with the lacquer as a first time painter, so I followed their advice.

For anyone thinking they can do this, think long and hard. I'm into this probably 80 hours or so of labor and only 3/4 done. It is A LOT more work than you think. The painting itself is nothing; it's the prep and post-application work that kills you.

Once the prep is done and the painting starts you start to think you are over the hump. Not so. Color sanding is an incredible amount of work. And you WILL sand or buff or polish through at least a couple of spots until you start to understand how much of that you can do. There is nothing more frustrating, more defeating, than putting on that final polish and seeing a light spot - primer starting to show through. Almost back to square one, sanding with the 240 wet/dry and re-painting. I've been through this cycle a couple of times on various panels.

Will it be "worth it" in the end? I'm not sure yet. The paint was pretty rough before and it was a shade off from "real" Albert Blue. The new color is a much richer blue; very close to the photos above. It will be a prettier car. It will take me a long time to blur the memory enough to try it again. Lots of folks called me crazy for even considering this. I have come to agree with them.

Yes, I'm a dumba$$. Shoulda listened. At least it doesn't look like some idiot (me) painted it with a Preval in his driveway... I'm ready to drive it for awhile - I'll give you a hollar. Oh, and I did take a quick run around Tualco Loop, just to let them know I hadn't forgotten about them... And take some heat off of you...
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"

Last edited by Jeff Higgins; 10-09-2005 at 07:52 PM..
Old 10-09-2005, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)