View Single Post

Garage
I can now do a partial drop in about 15 minutes. It makes working on the back of the engine a snap. On my car, I can easily drop the fan down 10+ inches which makes it possible to really crawl into the engine bay and look at the back (front)without any mirrors.

A trick was suggested to me the other day which worked wonders in locating oil leaks back there. If you spread talcum powder on the back of the engine, it makes it very easy to see what's leaking. I didin't have any talcum poweder so I just used Comet, which worked seemingly just as well. Then when hosing it off, everything is nice and clean.

To find my leaks, I went so far as to do a partial drop, and then started and ran the engine for about 15 minutes, while dropped. After this time I was able to just stick my head back there and see what was leaking. Also keep in mind that the airbox drain is close to the same area. If you overfill your oil and any is getting sucked into the airbox, you may see oil around there from this as well.

Good luck!
Old 10-10-2005, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)