View Single Post

An Era Came to an End at Porsche on March 31st 1998

31 March, 1998

Stuttgart Dr Ing h.c. F Porsche AG, Stuttgart is looking forward to the future - and the future is the newly-developed Boxster and 911 (Coupe and Cabriolet) models. The unexpectedly high customer demand for the latest generation of Porsche sports cars has made it necessary for the Stuttgart based sports car manufacturer to make an important and irrevocable decision: on Tuesday, March 31st 1998, the last ever 911 with an air cooled opposed-cylinder engine left the production line at the Porsche works Zuffenhausen. This means the end of an era extending back to 1948, the first sports car bearing the name Porsche. The model 356 No.1 was always powered by an air-cooled opposed cylinder engine, as were the following 356 and 911 generations.

Porsche presented the new 911 with its water cooled opposed-cylinder engine in Autumn 1997. The company then produced both models in parallel for 7 months, a task involving a greater than normal logistic effort.

The last 911 built with air cooling is a Carrera 4S model with the body colour Mexico blue. It will be delivered to the USA in April. The American TV star Jerry Seinfeld secured this vehicle a long time ago by means of a handshake deal with Chairman Dr. Wendelhin Wiedeking. Jerry Seinfeld commented: "I am overjoyed about this car. It completes my Porsche collection. I will never sell it."

Since 1963, a total of 401,232 air cooled cars have been produced. The last model which was internally assigned to the development number "993", was built 69,137 times in the Zufferhausen works; of these 6,418 were Turbo models. The powerful turbo version was purchased by 32,335 customers from 1997 to March 1998.

Old 10-12-2005, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)