View Single Post
Coral Red Syd Coral Red Syd is offline
Registered User
Coral Red Syd's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 98
OK an afternoon on the phone with Sneed and Hagerty:
Here's what I found.

1. - Car gets totalled:

Haggerty -
Classic car insurance. In your auto policy statement the wording is that you have the right of first purchase of your car if it gets totalled. You must notify them of your decision to retain the car before claim disbursements. ( I have a copy of the physical policy)

Sneed -
80% loss and they keep the car = aka you'll see your 911 parts on ebay(phone call to customer service)

2. - Driving your classic occasionally to work.

Haggerty -
In the application if you put you will drive your classic car to work when your primary is being serviced then you can drive your car to work. However nowhere in your policy statement does it note such - so this is a 'soft' agreement. I would prefer to see it in writing in the policy a clause to that fact rather than leave the terms 'pleasure' 'leisure' vs 'daily drive' open to legal interpretation. What I've come to understand is that Classic Car insurance is really not designed for daily driving. The words 'pleasure' or 'lesiure' use are subjective and an insurance adjuster could choose to deny your claim if you drive your car to work even if just that one time'. If so, its then up to the attorneys with the scales tipped in the onset in haggerty's favor under the typical premise that classic auto insurance is for 'pleasure' or 'leisure' use. The fact that you state you will drive your classic in place of your daily driver helps tip the scales a little in your favor.

(phone call to customer service) Yes, you can drive your classic car to work on occassion if your primary vehicle is in service or you choose to show off your vehicle. While Sneed was more candid about discussing this topic I have not seen it in their policy agreement terms that you can in fact drive your car to show it off at work. I'm more inclined that their wording will allow such after reading their website. (if someone can check their policy for the wording).

Bottom line:::
Haggerty allows you to retain your vehicle in the event of a total or almost total loss. Very important if you want to retain useful ro rare parts. You buy the car at salvage value and haggerty gives you (or should) give you the total agreed upon value.
Haggerty leaves occasional driving to work subjective.

Sneed retains your vehicle in the event of an 80% loss.
Sneed you can drive to work occassionally (need policy wording to confirm.)

State Farm daily driver insurance. More expensive. Low book value disbursement in the event of a total loss. Will keep your car if there is an 80% loss and sell it off to a salvage lot.

One note - It may be worth talking to Haggerty or Sneed to have them create a custom policy much like a homeowners rider that lets you have:
- Agreed upon value.
- Occasional Driving to work or wherever you like.
- Right of first purchase in the event of a total.

Albeit if your looking for a daily driver car ecomically go with State Farm type for the months you want to drive the car (its a pain, but no start up cost) and don't carry comprehensive. The difference is a couple hundred dollars a year.

Hope this helps.
Thanks All.
Coral Red Syd - "For Those Who Love to Fly... On The Ground"
Old 10-13-2005, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)