View Single Post

Garage
The rear bumpers were a nice challenge. Not only does the RS bumper bend out to meet the flare, but it also is about a 1/2 " longer. Where the bend takes place, I cut off the end of the bumper and added 1/2" of metal to it for length and welded that back on an angle. I was carefull to make the cut just forward of the bumper-to-fender bracket to avoid further complications.
Because the passenger side bumper was rusty toward the tail end, I bought another used bumper and was able to use the front of the old bumper. I cut a piece off the old bumper a 1/2" longer than what I cut off the "new" bumper and grafted it to the "new" bumper. This saved an extra weld line (and all the grinding associated with it).
If you have two sets of bumpers, it really makes it easier. Not only can you use the end, if you need that extra 1/2" you can cut it from the donor bumper because it will have the right contour. So don't throw away those rusty bumpers if the forward part is in good shape!
The first photo shows the "new" bumper partially cut at the bend. The next two show the "old" piece tack welded to the "new" Because there is an angle formed, two triangular pieces need to be welded on, one on top and the other underneath where the two contours of the bumper meet. Edit: The donor bumper can be cut so as to avoid the need for the upper triangular fill piece, but the bottom filler is still needed.
Of course, body filler was used to smooth the appearance. I ain't That Good!

Last edited by Mike O'Meara; 10-14-2005 at 08:30 AM..
Old 10-14-2005, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)