View Single Post

Garage
1.8L 20V Turbo

I pretty fond of my GTI. It came loaded with leather, AC, power windows, power locks, alarm, CD, 10 speakers, traction control, nifty 17" wheels, and gobs of tourque. It has 180hp and 173ftlbs of torque at 1950rpm (and the tourque stays pretty level to over 5000rpm). Late model 3 series BMWs eat my exhaust regularly. The handling is nothing like my old 911 but neither is the ride. The ride is very smooth, though a bit mushy over 90. It is a very easy car to commute in and plenty fast to have fun. Seats 5, lots of luggage space. Spend $500 for a chip and get 205-210hp (with no other mods). Spend another $800 on a Shine suspension and it will handle great! I bet a 2003 could be had for around $15k.

Many people get 27-30mpg, but I think they must be driving like grannies. I get 23-24, and I have fun doing it!

The miata is a great suggestion. I tested a Mini and I really liked it but real humans could not sid in the back and there is less luggage space than in a 911. I figured if I was going to have a car that seated 2 and had no real trunk it was going to be a porsche. For now I'm diggin the veedub, and biding my time scanning the ads. Who knows what's next, I've never had a 914....
'76 911S 3.0 RIP
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/BanjoMike
Old 10-14-2005, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)